Owning a self-defense tool is a common scenario nowadays due to the rising cases of criminality and crimes. Majority of individuals decide to own self-defense devices to protect themselves and their families from harm. However, as responsible owner of these tools, it is your duty to care for them to maintain its proper functioning.
It is not enough that you buy these tools and store them in your bag or in your cabinet anytime you want. Like other gadgets and appliances you have inside your home, you have to observe proper guidelines on how to maintain and to care for these devices, otherwise it will not perform its best when you need it.
Purchasing a taser gun and getting the needed licenses are not the only duties you have as owner. As efficient and responsible owner, you should know how to care for the device properly to maintain its efficacy and functionality. If you do not want the tool to malfunction and harm you instead of the attacker, take time to regularly inspect and do regular maintenance. This article details the proper way to care and to maintain a taser gun.
Below are tips on how to properly care for a stun gun:
1. Be sure to recharge the batteries of your taser gun regularly. Since the indicator is not enough to show the amount of power inside the device, it is best to perform a spark test to find out if the batteries need charging.
2. Be sure to check the expiry date of the taser cartridge, especially if you have not used the tool for a long time. Most often, taser cartridge only lasts for about five years, thus do not use the batteries if it is beyond its expiration date. Remember that the expiration date does not depend on how frequently you use the device, but the expiry date is preprinted on the product label by manufacturers.
3. Bear in mind that taser guns are sensitive tools, thus be sure to take care of it and to handle it with care. Avoid dropping it on the floor because even though taser housing is made of plastic, it can crack and breaks once it fell on the floor on impact.
4. Be sure to place it in dry and moisture-free areas because it cannot function properly when wet. If moisture enters the device, take out the batteries immediately and dry its body for about 24 hours.
5. Avoid repairing the taser yourself, but bring it to an authorized and accredited service center for maintenance and repair. Bear in mind that taser guns are not made of simple circuitry and parts which can be repaired by ordinary individuals like you. If you find something defective and wrong with your tool, have it checked by the nearest service center technician. They are the only ones who are credible and experienced in repairing these devices.
6. Never place the device anywhere and within the reach of children to avoid tinkering and accidents from happening.
By following the suggestions above, you can care for the device effectively.