Earthquakes are one of the most devastating among all natural disasters. A rather disturbing yet unavoidable fact for the mankind is that none of the equipments, science or measurement scales is able to predict the precise way & time of the earthquake.
The only and hence the most effective means to minimize the severe effects of earthquakes amidst the human lives is making adequate preparations for the earthquake emergencies.
In the situation of an earthquake, one feels that the ground is shaking or rolling. In case the earthquake is a very sever one, that is the movements of earth’s crust are really violent, one might also hear the ground roaring or rumbling.
These characteristics of an earthquake cause sheer panic among the people. Eventually this jeopardizes one’s chance of the survival. Luckily strong & devastating earthquakes do not happen that usually. Even in the locations where there is a minimal chance of earthquakes that is the places & nations that are located near the ring of fire of the earth, it is imperative to have some emergency plans to keep yourself and your family safe.
Here are some tips that might help you getting prepared for the emergencies:
1. Prepare the emergency kits
a. It is very hard to know as to what remains after the earthquakes, so in case you live in an area really prone to the earthquakes, you must keep the emergency kits ready.
b. There must be one kit for everyone in the house.
c. Each emergency kit is your lifeline ensuring your survival after the earthquake.
d. It should contain:
i. One gallon water
ii. Food supply for at least 3 days
iii. Select only non-perishable food
iv. The first aid kit
e. Make sure that you regularly change the contents of the kit like food & water.
f. Make sure that the food & water in the kit are of good edible quality else they would be of little use only.
2. Know All the Mains of All Your Utilities
a. Earthquakes often lead to fire due to gas leaks & electricity.
b. You must know the main switches of all your utilities, so that you may turn them off as & when needed.
3. Inspect the House for Cracks & Fissures
a. Make sure to check your house’s condition regularly in order to ensure that it can withstand even all the strong earthquakes.
b. Make sure that there are no cracks on the walls & chimney.
c. The door frames must be fixed.
d. In case you live in some apartment, instantly report the cracks & fissures to the landlord.
4. Have the Evacuation Plan
a. Make sure that you & your family or the office mates have an emergency plan to face the disasters, like fire, earthquakes & floods.
b. Every member must be aware of their duties and safety measures in such situations.
c. Early preparation would ensure rather more safety of the family.
d. Panic & confusion often lead to accidents & injuries.
Tips to face the Earthquake Emergency while it is Overhead
1. Make sure to stay away from the objects that may fall off.
2. Make sure to stay away from the book cases, hanging objects, cabinets, like chandeliers, ceiling fans, etc.
3. It is always advisable to stay laying down under some sturdy tables and / or door frames.
4. Just don’t run around.
5. Do not make an attempt to leave the house.
6. Outside the house there are rather dangerous things waiting to injure you, like lamp posts and cars.
7. The emergency kit must be very accessible and ready all the time.
8. If possible, place the emergency kit in some place where everyone in the house or the office would run in to during a quake.
9. Make sure to stay away from your kitchen. This can be the most dangerous spot of the house in case of earthquakes, with the various pots & pans hanging around & drawers full of cutlery & knives.
10. Furthermore, gas leakage in the kitchen can be quite dangerous owing to the fire involved.
After the earthquake
1. Make sure not to light a match and / or the candle immediately after the earth quake. In case the gas there is leaking, it might catch the flame.
2. Switch off the main gas valve before lighting the match or candle.
3. In case you are suspecting gas leakage, open all the windows & evacuate the house immediately.
4. Now, call your gas company, after you have moved away from the spot of gas leakage.
5. Make the call, only when you are out of that spot as the mobile phone usage in the gas can also lead to a flame.
6. Often earthquakes are followed by some aftershocks. Do not put your guards down even though you, your house and the family are all safe.
7. Check the news to get information on the earthquake & other important updates.